The objective of Second Career is to support laid off, unemployed individuals who require skills training to assist them to find employment in occupations with demonstrated labour market prospects in Ontario.
Qualified candidates can be eligible to receive financial help to pay for:
- Living Expenses
- Help caring for dependents
- Disability supports
- Other living and training costs
Employment Needs Assessment
Individuals interested in skills training must meet with staff at an assessment centre and complete a thorough employment needs assessment. For consideration under the Second Career program, individuals must also be assessed on the Second Career eligibility requirements listed below.
To be eligible, individuals must:
- Have been laid-off on or after January 1, 2005; and
- Be unemployed; and
- Demonstrate occupational demand for the training request with evidence of good employment prospects locally or within Ontario.
For the purposes of Second Career, “laid-off” individuals also includes:
- Those individuals whose employment contract has ended.
- Those individuals who have received Employment Insurance maternity or parental benefits and are seeking to reenter the labour force.
- Those individuals who have left work due to medical reasons.
For the purposes of Second Career, “unemployed” includes individuals:
- Working less than 20 hours per week.
- Who may have taken an interim job to make ends meet after their initial lay-off.
- On salary continuation or who have received severance pay.
For more information please visit our Employment Resource Centre or the Second Career website.
YSB - :ITO 2.0
301 Moodie Drive, Suite 203
Kanata, Ontario K2H 9C4
YSB Employment Services
1355 Bank Street, Suite 703
Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8K7